Monday, August 5, 2013

A Citizen of the United States of America

I payed $1 and a couple postage stamps last week to receive a copy of the naturalization record of my 3rd Great Grandfather, Fredrich Holzgrafe. I had hoped I would find out some new information, but unfortunately, the Vanderburgh, Indiana County court was rather vague and wrote. Still, I feel a new closeness to Fredrich Holzgrafe. Every document I uncover with his name on it makes him that much more real to me. Another brushstroke on the time-worn and faded canvas.

"Now here comes Frederick Holzgrefe, a native of Prussia, and makes application to become a citizen of the United States of America, and the Court being satisfied that he has complied with the Acts of Congress in each case made and provided, the said Frederick Holzgrefe is now here admitted to become a citizen of the United States and now here takes the final oath to support the Constitution of the United States and otherwise demean himself as a good and peaceable citizen thereof, and that he now renounces and abjures forever all allegiances and fidelity to any foreign Prince, Potentate, State and Sovereignty whatever, and more particularly to the King of Prussia of whom he was heretofore a subject."

Vanderburgh County, Indiana
8 September 1856


No comments:

Post a Comment